Check out these other recent posts!

Welcome! Check out my most recent posts!

Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Traditions At Our House: The Decorations

                                       Jennifer Rizzo's holiday housewalk link party.

Today I'm linking up my post to the Holiday House Walk link party at jenniferrizzo.com, The Nesting Place, and Like A Saturday.

One of my favorite parts of preparing for Christmas has always been decorating the house. I have fond memories as a child of unboxing the same decorations every year....the ceramic Santa and Nativity that my Gramma made....the glass candy dish that my sister had glued a felt Santa face to in Kindergarten....the little plastic wreaths that had a tiny manger scene dangling in the center that we got to hang in the windows in our bedrooms....the Santa pillows that my sister and I each had....and the Nativity set. And my Mom would place all the pretty things on freshly pressed Christmas linens and add red or plaid bows and fresh greens cut from our yard here and there. It was magical!

These days I love to decorate my own home and I hope that my kids will grow up with fond memories of a house decorated to celebrate Christmas.

I've had a lot of fun this year decking the halls. C'mon in and I'll show you around. If you're here for the first time..."Welcome!" 

And if you've visited before, I'm so glad that you have stopped back today.

So c'mon into the Mudroom. This room has had a little bit of a Wintry vibe all year. In fact, last Christmas I decorated this cup shelf with a bit of a cardinal theme. I like it so much (I kind of have a thing for birds) that I left it that way all year.

So this year, I added the wooden "Merry Christmas" and a couple mini trees.






A couple of cute snowmen are hanging out in the mudroom too!





Let's move on into the living room. You'll see that I go for a very traditional look.







This is where most of the Christmas action is. You can read more about our tree HERE.





Here is the top of my Singer sewing machine. The music under the glass is the hymn "Whiter Than Snow."  I got this idea from Pinterest last year. The little snowman is just a dollar store ornament and back in the Fall, I found this ceramic sleigh at a thrift store.


A little vignette in the corner....









I'm really proud of these no-sew pillows. I found this set of four cloth napkins at TJMaxx for $6.99 and was able to cover a couple old throw pillows that we were no longer using. I just used fusible hemming tape to iron two napkins together, stuffed the pillow in and then fused the last side together. Cha-Ching! I was so happy with myself.







                  






On the top of our TV cabinet, I have a bowl full of ornaments which includes a few vintage ones that belonged to my great grandparents.








And on our piano is the most important decoration....our Nativity set, which reminds us of the true meaning of Christmas.


Before you go I want to show you a couple things in the kitchen. The lighting in the kitchen is horrible so it's hard for me to get a great photo of the whole room. So I will just show you a couple Christmas touches that I've added.





The jumping-off point for this shelf were the green transferware sugar and creamer that i found at Homegoods back in November.

You can find a tutorial for this NOEL banner  that I did last year over at Sal's blog.


And of course the December calendar is gracing our chalkboard wall in the kitchen.

Well, I think that ends this little tour. I'm so glad you stopped by and that you will return again!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

 photo signature_zps9c411e62.png

4 comments :

  1. What a great project your no-sew pillows turned out to be! I love the look of the greens in the white pitcher. So simple, yet so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the buttons on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I especially love your sign and emphasis on Who we are celebrating. Absolutely beautiful home and decorations. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely decorating job, I especially like the Nativity.the greens,actually I like it all. Merry
    Christmas,as we celebrate the birth of our precious Lord!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.

Comments may be moderated so you may not see your comment immediately.

Thanks for stopping by!

- Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...